Monday, April 26, 2010

Pallavi Gandhi

First a quick note from Maureen: "It's been a long time between Blog posts- I'm afraid I have too much to handle these days.
This is an interview with Metalsmiths Unite member Pallavi Gandhi- Please check out her work on her website- where you can find more images and information about her work- thanks!"- MBZ

Pallavi Gandhi
1-How would you describe what you do as an artist?

I love telling stories and exploring the possibility of a tête-à-tête within the pieces and with the wearer. Consciously, yes, I do try to give hope and sheer joy through my work to those around me. My work is symbolist though expressed simply. Design takes prime importance. I work a lot with silver and I’ll combine it with other materials (stones, brass, copper, acrylic) if required.

2-what inspires your designs?

My interactions with the world I live in. My thoughts and experiences feed my imagination, expressing not just what I see, but how I see…not just what I hear but how I hear…asking me to constantly look at myself …often my work reflects the conversations I have with myself.


3-how long have you been involved in this type of making? (how did you start?)
Well I got into this line through a process of elimination. I guess it dawned quite late that I’m more of a hands-on person. I completed my 2-yr diploma in jewellery design and manufacturing in 2001 and was largely involved in freelancing and teaching design thereafter, working on the bench in few and rare snatched moments. I finally started out on my own as a full time bench jeweler (if that’s the term..) a little over 2 years ago.

4-where are you located?

I live in New Delhi, India.

5-do you have a website or etsy/artfire/1000market etc store?
http://www.pallavigandhi.com

6-what other ways do you market your work?
Through occasional exhibitions and mostly through word of mouth.

7-do you teach? if so, where-
I taught jewelery design for 5 years…till about 3 years ago. I’m looking at starting classes again in my studio.

8-any sage advice for newcomers that you would like to share?
I’m fairly new as a jewelery artist but a couple of things that I try and uphold at the core of my work and my life: to absolutely be in earnest and to always keep learning.

9-where do you envision your work going in the next year? (artistic direction)
I will definitely be experimenting with materials and techniques. Dreamtime stories are next in line for my collection.

10-anything else you would like to share?
My spiritual mentor, Dr. Daisaku Ikeda says: ‘By never being defeated and endeavouring to change society for the better, we are able to create happiness both for ourselves and others.’
This is the value I hope to create through my work.

Thank you Pallavi- It's great to meet you- I hope everyone goes to your site to see you work- 
(we had some troubles getting the images to work on this blog) 
I appreciate your commitment to metalsmithing, and we are happy to have you as a part of our Metalsmiths Unite community! :-)
ciao- Maureen BZ

No comments:

Post a Comment